Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Why Boston?

It’s all still so fresh. The unconscionable events at the Boston marathon happened mere hours ago. I’m in dismay over this seemingly random act of horrific violence. Why would someone do this? Who would do this? Why did this happen? Why to runners? Why At Boston? Why?
I just can’t fathom what would bring someone to intentionally inflict pain and suffering on completely innocent people. I’ve never been one to enjoy overtly violent movies with an antagonist that has some warped relationship with humanity. I don’t want to be forced to contemplate the darker side of humanity. But this is different. This happened to my tribe, my community, my running brethren.
As I woke this morning, I could feel the pre-race electricity running through my body, as if I were running Boston myself. I celebrated each runner’s personal victory with each crossing of the finish line, knowing the sacrifice and dedication that it took to get to that moment. Boston. The Holy Grail.
Hearing of the bombings, I became physically sick, feeling not just my sadness, but the collective sorrow of our community. The feeling has not left me. But it wasn’t until now, as I am snuggling next to my two-year-old as she sweetly falls to sleep, that I understand why this crazed person chose to inflict his or her inevitable mayhem on runners at Boston.
Because the true soul of humanity is found in the run.
Race day brings the best together, from the volunteers, to the spectators, to the runners themselves, all working together to better each other. You can’t find that at any other sporting event. When you consider the showing of the authentic human spirit that happens on race day, it only makes sense a crazy person would try to destroy that. Guess what. You can’t. The runner’s spirit is indomitable. News outlets were reporting that some finishers, after having poured every ounce of their being into the last 26.2 miles, continued running – straight to the hospital to donate blood.
When tragedies like this occur, it is commonly said that it is a time for us to pull together. Well, we’re already together. Always have been. Our community will rise above. We’re used to having to pull each other through seemingly impossible obstacles, being there for you buddy when it looks like he just can’t continue, providing strength to each other. That’s what we do. We’re runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment